An Integrated Technology Approach to IM
DELIVERING ACTIONABLE ANALYTICS
An integrated technology approach to tackle your IM challenges
Our digital solutions complement our subject matter expertise enabling us to work smarter for you.
Sword delivers a data-driven approach that enables you to understand your enterprise landscape, to de-duplicate, consolidate and migrate, and harness the value of your information and records.
YOUR INFORMATION ESTATE
We must first understand how your organisation creates, consumes and manages data and information. We provide a range of Subject Matter Experts to undertake a ‘Discovery and Intelligence Gathering’ exercise to provide a view of your information estate and the opportunities for improvement.
File and folder level scans across network drives and connected systems to map your estate, providing:
- A view of data volumes and distribution
- An overview of all content repositories in your information estate
- A high level definition of business rules used to analyse data
Making sense of your information estate
Our data-driven rules trawl vast data sets quickly and efficiently. Detailed dashboard summaries of your information estate are developed with realistic recommendations for improvement.
- Detailed data analytics with content filtering to create subsets of data to enable easier decision making
- Identification of duplication hotspots to reduce overall volume of the information estate
- Identification of company records suitable for migration to corporate store
- Identification of Redundant, Obsolete and Trivial (ROT) data to improve trust and confidence in data
- Identification of any Personally Identifiable Information (PII) that could be in breach of GDPR
Quality focus on a big scale
Whether driven by internal data quality demands or regulatory compliance, a clear and actionable view of your information is invaluable. Combining deep domain experience and our technologies provides an end-to-end solution.
Large quantities of data are processed in controlled environments to release latent value.
- Identifying your data – Document and data classification
- Knowing your data – Content analysis and visualisation
- Tagging your data – Metadata and key information recognition
- Harvesting your data – Content and data extraction
- Finding your data – Advanced, cognitive search capability
- Using your data – Creating robust integrated data environments
Migration made easy
Document migrations can be complex, lengthy and difficult to undertake. They often stall when users are asked to make decisions on their data. Sword provides an end-to-end solution combining business processes, current state mapping and data visualisations to gain user adoption.
We provide a before-and-after dashboard view that allows the end user to visualise what the end product will look like before any physical move occurs.
- Data dashboards make processing easier to handle and visualise
- Attribute filtering and detailed information allow for ‘virtual migration’
- Robust, quality-controlled migration methodology
- Post migration implementation and change management
Case study: File Landscape Analysis project
Our client is one of the world’s largest independent oil and gas companies, employing over 1500 people worldwide with production bases in Europe and Asia.
As a result of several significant business acquisitions in recent years, our client had inherited an information estate containing a mix of live and outdated information totalling over 320TB and in excess of 25 million files.
The business acquisitions and poor data management contributed to a high degree of duplication, inconsistent naming and structure, data overlap, data dispersal, a lack of control and a significant reduction in the ability to locate the right data in a timely manner. This lead to ambiguity, confusion and many inconsistencies. Staff found it difficult to locate the most up to date information often caused by uncontrolled migrations and a lack of overall data governance. No estate level search functionality, common file structure or convention combined with a lack of detailed legacy knowledge further reduced the ability to locate valuable information.
Our integrated approach to information management was required to resolve these challenging issues.
We worked collaboratively with the client’s Information Systems (IS) teams and business functions on a multiphase project utilising our proven methodologies, capabilities, and tools to deliver:
- High level estate analysis and mapping
- A detailed functional classification and analysis to:
- Identify direct and hot spot duplication
- Identify PII that should be removed from the estate due to GDPR regulations
- Identify ROT information for removal
- Identify areas of potential material for archiving
- Identify company critical records, prioritising regulatory records
- Create a set of actionable recommendations to consolidate and migrate remaining data for functional owner approval
- Data visualisations demonstrating the extent of how the information is disseminated
- A set of activity roadmaps taking into account business priorities so as not to hinder key business activities
Working with the client, our integrated approach to information management has delivered:
- Over 4.8 million duplicate, ROT, Archive and PII files were removed from the information estate significantly reducing the time to locate and find the right information
- Data consolidated from multiple drives, decommissioning redundant drives, reducing infrastructure overheads, reducing ambiguity and increasing the ease with which staff can access data and information
- Company critical records migrated to SharePoint and stored appropriately to ensure internal and external compliance is supported