Asset Transition – Operations Considerations
Taking on new production assets is a big step and can have many implications for operations & production as your portfolio grows. Sword specialises in asset transfers and the support of upstream IT and Information Management, here are some considerations and learnings to help.
Many deals are based on a strategy of ‘lift and shift’, taking as much information as you can and putting into appropriate systems you already have or new ones you’ll need to deploy. This is not as simple as it sounds so don’t be caught out.
Sword recommends a staged approach:
- Will you operate or have a partner do that? We sort out the data so you or your EPC have what they need
- Focus on safety critical information & safety case
- Review content, as-built?
- Prepare systems & data
- Migration & testing
- Handover to Operations
- Technical system support
- Information Management for all aspects of O&M and engineering
- Update work instructions
- Better detail and availability of information
- Quality improvement, digitisation of old information
- Incorporate 3D and laser scans / digital twins if you need them
- Optimise spares and maintenance
- Offshore apps for inspections
- Minimally manned operations & virtual control room
Recent transitions run by Sword had 80 or more applications to prepare, network & telecom vendors, hardware & software procurement, thousands of archive boxes, many thousands of drawings, tens of thousands of tapes (such as seismic). Sword can organise and manage this for you and our knowledge of the vendors, technical scopes and pricing can give you a better result faster. We can also work with the seller for greater efficiency.
Once a project scope has been outlined and you are talking with a specialist partner such as Sword, what will transition look like?
- Rapid mobilisation of the project team, information gathering and detailed planning. This first phase of the project typically takes a couple of weeks.
- Implementation – very dependent on scale and scope, but 3-9 months is typical. A small unmanned platform may need a team of 4-5 to transfer whereas a large multi-asset deal could need a core team of 15-20 plus working with dozens of vendors. We flex to suit the scale and timing challenges.
Specialists in upstream engineering information, we have people with engineering backgrounds as well as the IT teams to sort out your information.
The seller may have old & highly customised systems. We know how to simplify that to get you running fast at lower cost.
You will need doc control & engineering data management, we can run that for you or supplement your team.
- Knowledge & Insight
Get more value from your new information, find what you need fast.
Planning (pre TOO)
Transfer Of Ownership (TOO)
- Agree post TOO service from seller
- Partner connectivity
- Information access
- Produce Project Initiation Document (PID)
- Applications strategy
- infrastructure strategy
- IM strategy
- Execution of applications, infrastructure and IM strategies
- Steady state support
- Legacy system
- Service improvement programme
- Ongoing IM plan
Project Initiation Document
IT transition plan
Stable, fully supported IT environment
How to reduce risks
Our experience and specialist knowledge of the oil & gas sector helps reduce risk during transitions and for on-going services. The key risk areas for transition can be readily mitigated.
- Safety – We are experts in handling safety critical information in upstream oil & gas. We ensure your people and partners have the right work instructions, systems and up to date information to run operations safely. We can help with your Safety Case.
- Production – The operational go-live is crucial and we are used to running engineering information management to support this. This includes engineering works from maintenance backlogs and minor mods to major, turnarounds and major capital projects. You may also be considering Energy Transition. We can help with our knowledge of data requirements for this, such as CCUS, wind & electrification.
- Complexity – Our proven methodology keeps things simple, so you meet your target for the transfer of Operations.
- Knowledge – New assets usually come with new people and transfers of personnel, so we focus on making their life easier. This ensures they know how to find information to support their work and be able to rely on it, especially as the systems they used to use may change.
- Time – To move fast we can transfer the key operational data quickly and then enhance the quality and modernise it when the business case and time is right.
- Cost – You may acquire from a large operator but don’t need their big expensive systems. We can migrate you to fit-for-purpose systems that you can enhance as your needs change.
Sword UK are focused on solving key business challenges within organisations, centred around developing the management of day to day IT, helping to optimise organisational infrastructure to allow customers to focus on high value activity. Sword UK support customers to succeed in their digital journey by introducing and implementing technology as an enabler not an inhibitor.
52 – 54 Rose Street, Aberdeen, AB10 1UD
T: +44 (0)1224 506 110